The Queen’s 90th birthday is on April 21 but the main focus of celebrations will be over the weekend of June 11 and 12, with the Trooping the Colour and The Patrons’ Lunch taking place in London.

This would be a great time to organise events in local neighbourhoods but if you are planning something where you live – like a street party or a play street event that involves closing a street to traffic, make sure that you apply for a free permit well in advance. Applications will need to be submitted by the end of April.

The City Council can help you hold a successful street party and has put together Street Party and Play Street application packs; these can be used in conjunction with the Queen’s celebration or for other community street parties or play street events throughout the year. These are downloadable from the Council’s website at

The Council will advise you through all the steps you need to take. The most important step is getting the road closure authorised. To do this all residents and businesses in the proposed road must be asked for their opinion and a signed petition showing that the majority of people in the street support its closure.

Some roads in the city are not able to be closed because rerouting traffic or emergency access is not practical. If a road closure is not possible for these reasons the Council will let you know and discuss alternative options.

The applicant will be fully responsible for planning the event.

Councillor Nick McDonald, Portfolio Holder for Growth, Jobs and Transport at Nottingham City Council, said: “Play events and street parties bring local neighbourhoods together and are a fun way to get involved with the national celebrations for the Queen’s Birthday. The City Council will offer advice and support for possible street closures for free – but it is vital to be prepared well in advance. It takes up to six weeks to organise the legal permits and other processes, so apply for the street closure in good time.”