Walkway through Broadmarsh Centre to reopen tomorrow

Nottingham from above

The walkway connecting Collin Street with Lister Gate and Albert Street, towards Old Market Square, through the partially demolished Broadmarsh Centre will reopen tomorrow (Friday 28th August) in time for the August bank holiday.

This key route between Nottingham Railway Station and the city centre has been closed since midsummer when intu stopped the Broadmarsh centre redevelopment. Subsequently intu entered administration, their Broadmarsh companies were liquidated and the Broadmarsh Centre site was passed to the City Council by the Government’s Official Receiver. Reopening the walkway was identified as the City Council’s first priority after it gained control of the site.

Following full safety and environmental assessment by the City Council, structural repairs were identified to make the walkway safe to reopen, all of which have now been carried out by Sir Robert McAlpine, the contractors who had been working on the intu development.

The opening of the walkway will re-establish a more direct access between the city centre and the railway station along with easier access to shops on Lister Gate and Albion Street towards Old Market Square, helping to support the high street as more people visit the city centre following lockdown easing. Additionally, the Broadmarsh road changes are already creating a more pedestrian friendly southern approach to and from the city centre as the next stage of work begins on the transformation of the area, with work continuing to progress on the new Broadmarsh Car Park, Bus Station and Central Library.

Councillor Mellen said: “When the Broadmarsh Centre was passed to the City Council, we said our first priority was to reopen this walkway safely and as quickly as possible.

“The walkway is an important through route for the city and its closure has been inconvenient for a lot of people, and while the future of the Broadmarsh Centre is still to be decided with the public’s help, I’m really pleased we’ve been able to reintroduce this public right of way

“The withdrawal of intu from the site presents a financial challenge for the City Council at a time when our budget is under immense pressure. Equally this is a great opportunity to look again at the plans for this key site taking into account different ideas. We won’t be able to do this by ourselves and we will need to work in partnership.”

Share this post!