The Energy Bill Support Scheme (EBSS) Alternative Funding has been launched by the Government this week. The scheme will provide £400 of support for UK households without a direct relationship to a domestic energy provider, for example those who live in care homes, in park homes, on houseboats or off the electricity grid.

Applications must be made through the UK Government portal, and not via Nottingham City Council. If residents are eligible for payment, their details will be passed on to the City Council’s customer support team to make payment in one lump sum. Payments are expected to be made within six weeks of application acceptance.

Who should apply:

  • The household that support is being claimed for is the main or only home address of the person to receive the support.
  • The resident or applicant is responsible for paying the household energy bill. This means either directly or as part of a service charge, rent, or other arrangement and may have the impact of increased energy bills costs passed on to them between 1 October 2022 – 31 March 2023.
  • The household is not already receiving EBSS payments in whole or in part.
  • The household is not a business premises or other form of non-domestic premises. It must be used solely or mainly for domestic purposes. This is except for businesses whose main business activity is to provide long term residential accommodation (landlords, etc.)

You may be eligible to apply if your main home is:

  • a residential park home
  • on a boat on a permanent residential mooring
  • on a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site
  • part of a heat network without an electricity meter
  • in social or private rented accommodation which has a business energy connection or a communal electricity supply
  • off the mains electricity or gas grid
  • in a care home or assisted living facility and you pay for some or all of your care (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits)
  • in a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property (such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop)

Cllr Sally Longford, Portfolio Holder for Energy, Environment and Waste Services, said: “The recent rises in energy bills, and the cost of living in general, has put a real strain on many resident’s finances this winter. I would like to encourage those who are eligible for the Energy Bill Support Scheme Alternative Funding payments to apply through the Government website.”

Visit the Government website here to find out more and to make your application. For those without online access, a dedicated customer helpline is available to assist eligible customers: 0808 175 3287.