The Nottingham October festival returns for 2017 with a full programme of events over six weekends from Saturday 30 September until Sunday 5 November.
The first October Festival event announced is the return to Old Market Square of the Magnificent Spiegeltent, popular with audiences in the City since its introduction in 2015.
The programme will be staged between Friday 29 September and Sunday 8 October.
Show highlights over the ten-days include an opening night spectacular with The Gilded Merkin Burlesque and Cabaret – Nottingham’s biggest Burlesque show, City’s Got Soul with Angelo Starr and the Team Edwin Starr Band performing live for an evening of the greatest Motown and classic Northern soul hits, and the hilarious musical comedy of Royal Vauxhall based on a true story involving Kenny Everett, Freddie Mercury and Princess Di is one not to be missed! £1 from every ticket sold will be donated to the Nottingham Pride 2018 event fund.
There is also a varied programme of events for children; and as well as ticketed performances, there are a number of free events being staged including Yoga and Mindfulness sessions (Tuesday 3 October) and a lunchtime concert by the Nottingham Youth Orchestra (Friday 6 October).
Further details can be found and all the tickets for events in the Spiegeltent can be booked via www.octoberinnottingham.co.uk
The site has been designed and ticketing managed in partnership with local company, Gigantic.
Cllr Dave Trimble, Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Culture said: “Over the past 3 years, the Spielgeltent has been an incredibly popular part of our October events season, with the pop up venue having a programme to suit every taste from stand up comedy to burlesque. We expect that many of the shows sell out very quickly, so I would urge people not to miss out on this truly novel entertainment experience. Nottingham is definitely the place to be this Autumn.”
Brendan Moffett CEO, Marketing Nottingham & Nottinghamshire said: “I’m really looking forward to the return of the Spielgeltent which is always incredibly popular. It is a great example of the range of events and activities lined up for October with something for all ages. Last year’s October events had over 500,000 attendees, 35% of which were visitors from outside of the City. With the additional events in the Spiegeltent and the wider October programme, we expect to attract even more visitors and to improve on the £4million that was generated last year into the local economy.”
For a full show schedule and tickets for all shows visit www.octoberinnottingham.co.uk
For further information, please contact Donna Marshall – Communications and Marketing officer on 0115 8764443 or email email@example.com
Notes to editors
- Details of other October in Nottingham events will be announced in due course.
Key Spiegeltent listings:
- Friday 29 September – The Gilded Merkin Burlesque and Cabaret
Nottingham’s biggest Burlesque show returns to the Magnificent Spiegeltent for an opening night spectacular.
- Saturday 30 September – Johnny and the Raindrops
The band’s costumes, props, disco dance and audience participation make this a ‘gig for cool kids’. A Nottingham family favourite not to be missed!
- Saturday 30 September – Just the Tonic Saturday night comedy with Reginald D Hunter and guests
Reginald D Hunter brings his unassuming, provocative,raw, fresh and funny charm to Nottingham for this very special and intimate gig.
- Sunday 1 October (3 shows) – The Beanbag Music Club presents The Uke Box
The Theatre Royal and Royal Concert Hall’s Beanbag Music Club for children and families comes to the Magnificent Spiegeltent for the very first time.
- Sunday 1 October – City’s Got Soul
Angelo Starr and the Team Edwin Starr Band are live in the Magnificent Spiegeltent for an evening of the greatest Motown and classic Northern soul hits.
- Monday 2 October – The Nottingham Guild of Magicians
Seeing, is believing, but with close up magical experiences, manipulation, mind blowing card magic.
- Tuesday 3 October – Royal Vauxhall
After delighting audiences at the Edinburgh Fringe last year, this hilarious musical comedy based on a true story involving Kenny Everett, Freddie Mercury and Princess Di is one not to be missed!
- Thursday 5 October – Rockaoke
Live the dream and become a rock star for the night with Rockaoke, the ultimate live band karaoke experience.
- Friday 6 October (2 sessions) – Gin Swing
Join us for the finest gin swing in town. Sample cocktails made with Nottingham’s Redsmith gin and be entertained by one of the city’s finest jazz ensembles, Schmorgan.
- Saturday 7 October (2 sessions) – The Magnificent Tea Dance
Waltz, foxtrot, swing, and stroll your way through Saturday afternoon with the Nottingham Tea Dance Band providing the ultimate soundtrack for some vintage inspired fun. Ticket includes serving of tea and cake.
- The festival, held since 2015 aims to provide a mid-season boost to Nottingham’s visitor economy. Figures from 2016 saw 500,000 attend October Festival events, of whom 22% were from outside Nottingham generating an economic impact of £8.5m to the local economy.
- Marketing NG is the official Place Marketing Organisation for Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. The agency is charged with growing the local economy through encouraging inward investment, attracting business and leisure visitors, maximising student retention and aligning with the local business community. Marketing NG is funded by a combination of private monies through membership and grants, and by local authorities including Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council.
- Known for their wild and decadent ambiance, Spiegeltents are exquisite pop-up venues. Literally translated as ‘mirror tent’ they were built in Belgium in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and now regularly tour the world’s cities and festivals.