Can We Splash? is a book about children’s swimming and follows Mo, his sister Yas and the fun they had with their Dad on a swimming trip to a Nottingham leisure centre.
Many families in the city of Nottingham have never been swimming, either alone or together as a family; many of them are not aware of what to expect when they visit a swimming pool for the first time, and some will not have visited an Active Nottingham leisure centre before.
“It’s Saturday morning for Dad, Yas and Mo.Extract from Can We Splash?
It’s raining. It’s boring. But Dad knows where to go”.
Developed by Active Nottingham, part of Nottingham City Council, Can We Splash? will be used to support introductions to swimming and help create positive first experiences.
Portfolio Holder for Leisure and Culture, Cllr Eunice Campbell-Clark, said: “We understand the importance of learning to swim for every child in Nottingham. With this book, we want to help prepare children and their families, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to be able to take those first steps, have fun, a very positive experience, and enjoy learning together.”
City Council Leader, Cllr David Mellen, will launch the book officially on 16 May 2022 by reading to a group of children from Melbury Primary School at Harvey Hadden Sports Village.
Cllr David Mellen said: “Learning to read and swim are two important life lessons for every child. We want to ensure we instil each of these things from an early age so children in Nottingham can learn to enjoy both; and for them to also grow and become more confident
After reading about Mo’s adventures in Can We Splash? families can also win some amazing prizes, with the following up for grabs:
- One three-month Active Nottingham leisure centre pass for the whole family
- One month of Nottingham Swim School swimming lessons for one child
- 25 x Active Nottingham family swim vouchers (valid for up to two adults and three children)
To enter this great competition, simply pick up a competition form when collecting a copy of Can We Splash?, alternatively download and print a copy here: https://bit.ly/canwesplash-competition
Can We Splash? will be available for collection, for free, from any Active Nottingham leisure centre from 16 May 2022.
For more information about Can We Splash? and the drawing competition please visit the below websites:
Notes to editors
Drawing competition terms and conditions:
- Entrants must be 10 years old or under and have the permission of their parent/guardian.
- Completed entry forms must be handed into one of our leisure centres before 10 pm on the last day of the competition. Emailed entries will not be counted.
- The closing date of the competition is 20 June 2022.
- The entries will be judged by a panel made up of representatives from Active Nottingham (part of Nottingham City Council) and 27 entries will be chosen for public judging.
- The final entries will be displayed on Active Nottingham’s Facebook page from 12 noon on Friday 24 June – to 12 noon on Monday 27 June for a public vote.
- The entry with the most votes at the close of the voting will win a three-month Active Nottingham family membership.
- The runner up will receive a month’s swimming lessons with Nottingham Swim School.
- The remaining finalists will all receive a free Active Nottingham family swim pass (valid for up to two adults and three children).
- Finalists will be invited to a prize-giving ceremony where photographs may be taken for promotional use. Finalists will have the option of opting out of being photographed.
- The panels’ decision is final and we will not enter into any discussions other than with the finalists and winners.
- The prizes cannot be exchanged for any monetary value.
- The prizes can only be redeemed by the winners and cannot be transferred to a third party.