Citizens across Nottingham can get into the Christmas spirit with the many light switch on events taking place across neighbourhoods!
Cllr Nicola Heaton, Portfolio Holder for Community Services at Nottingham City Council, said: “Our neighbourhood Christmas celebrations are a great time for communities to come together. All ages can get into the festive spirit and enjoy singing, Christmas grottos, shopping, arts and crafts, and perhaps even a visit from Santa!”
Events taking place across neighbourhoods include:
- Dunkirk & Lenton / Arboretum / Radford & Park Wards – Canning Circus Christmas Tree on Tuesday 24 November from 4pm until 5.30pm – Enjoy Christmas carols around the tree (involving children from local primary schools) and mince pies! Contemporary tree light switch on by Nottingham’s Lord Mayor Cllr Jackie Morris.
- Sherwood Wednesday 25 November from 3.30pm – 4.30pm, Mansfield Road (near Oxfam) Come together for Christmas songs and mince pies around the Christmas tree and at 4.30-6.00pm enjoy free Christmas crafts at Sherwood Library. Children will be given a free raffle ticket for their chance to switch on the Christmas lights! Enjoy what Sherwood has to offer over the festive period in the local shops and cafes!
- St Ann’s, Thursday 26 November, Sneinton Square Market, 5pm – 7pm. Enjoy a festive fun night, free raffle (star prize food hamper) music, food, market stall, craft stalls, Salutation Army Brass Band, mulled wine, Santa grotto and free homemade soup! Light switch on at 6pm.
- Bestwood, Thursday 26 November, 12-6pm, Bestwood Park Church, Beckhampton Road, Bestwood Park: – 12.30pm to 1.30pm: Santa and his elves visit babies at Southglade Access Centre (free photo opportunity in Santa’s grotto) – 2pm: Santa and his elves meet residents of Cherry Trees Residential Centre for Christmas carols with Glade Hill School Choir – 3.30pm: Bestwood Park Church open for refreshments, plus stalls and bouncy castles – 4pm to 5.30pm: Christmas Concert outside Bestwood Park Church – 4.30pm: Santa’s grotto opens – 4.30pm: Christmas Lights switch on outside the church – 5.30pm to 6pm: William the Wizard stage show
- Aspley, Friday 27 November, Junction of Melbourne Road & Aspley Lane (Free refreshments afterwards in Bluecoat School Hall)
- St Ann’s, Wednesday 2 December, 4pm until 7.30pm, – 4pm – Welcome from the St Ann’s Councillors and switching on the Christmas tree lights, outside the St Ann’s Police Station – 4.30pm – Lights switch on by St Ann’s Councillors – 4.45pm – Fireworks Display on the Sycamore School Field and a free meal at Emmanuel Church – 5.30pm till 7.30pm – Come together at The Chase and Emmanuel Church for free refreshments and a visit to see Santa, plus a free Christmas raffle for a chance to win a Christmas food hamper.
- Wollaton West, Thursday 3 December, 5.30pm, Bramcote Lane Shopping Area. Enjoy community carol singing, songs by Fernwood Primary School and local church choirs. Free mince pies! Enjoy refreshments from local retailers and tombola in aid of Wollaton Youth Café.
- Hyson Green (Berridge and Arboretum), Thursday 3 December, 3.30pm – 5pm, Peppers Gardens, (by Asda), Hyson Green, Sing carols under the tree with local children, enjoy stalls and information, free refreshments and meet Santa!
- Clifton, Friday 4 December, 3pm – 6pm, Clifton Main Shops, Clifton Library, and Peacock Pub Car Park. Celebrate the arrival of the Christmas season with music, singing, local craft market, arts and crafts, entertainers, performances by local schools and young people and Santa and his reindeer! Craft Market and extended Clifton Market 3pm – 6pm, Santa’s Grotto at Clifton Library 3pm – 5.30pm and Christmas tree lights switch-on at 4.30pm
- Bulwell/Bulwell Forest, Monday 7 December, Bulwell Riverside 10am – 1pm, Bulwell Market Place 3.30pm – 5.30pm – Bulwell Riverside 9.30am-12.30pm: Bulwell Christmas Festival Fayre enjoy Christmas stalls run by local groups – 10am – 1pm, Totstime – 10.30am to 11am, a special visitor will come for all children under 5. Make your own Christmas table decorations– 1pm to 3pm. To book a place contact Bulwell Library on 0115 883 3500. Cost £3.00- Bulwell Market Place 3.30pm – 5.30pm: Light Switch On – 5pm Santa’s Grotto at Wilkinson’s for children aged 8 and under 50p per child. Teenage Market, Face painting live music Festive entertainment by local school children, community groups and much more. Rides Small charge will apply. Food Small charge will apply
- Dales (Sneinton, Colwick and Bakersfield), 10 December. 1pm (switch on at 1.30pm) and 6pm (switch on at 6.30pm), Sneinton Police Station. Come together for Christmas carols and enjoy hot drinks, stollen and biscuits.
- Bilborough, Thursday 10 December, Bracebridge Drive, 4pm – 8pm. Community Christmas Carols and Santa arrives at 5pm and Christmas Lights switch on at 5.15pm Enjoy a Stage Show with performances from Dazzle, Hot Dance, Elf, Peppa Pig, Punch & Judy, Woodies Wings Bird Show, Santa’s Grotto in Coop store, Let’s Get Drumming Party, Vintage Vehicle Parade, Face Painting, Fun Fair, Steam Engines, Fair Organ, Pony Rides, FREE run a round train rides and much more! Bilborough Library events: Table Decorations 1.30-3pm £3pp and crafts for children from 4pm-5pm, free gift for every child & refreshments! St Johns Church Hall, community stalls, refreshments and hot chestnuts
- Bridge, Saturday 12 December 1 – 5pm, Bridgeway Shopping Centre, the Christmas Lights will be turned on by Rev Hannah Hall at 4pm. Visitors can also enjoy Christmas activities from 1pm, including stalls, refreshments, face painting, raffle, entertainment, and Santa!
For further information please visit www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/christmas